Tuesday, July 19, 2016

295: Acrylic Landscape/Abstract fusion

–IN this video I demonstrate how I fuse my experimentations with abstraction with conventional landscape. I use the underpainting not only as a map to indicate features but as a foil against which to play the final colors. The underpainting provides additional field effects, as I leave patches and scrape down in places. The underpainting also provides the necessary texture for a broken color effect.

In the final step I add pointillistic dashes and dots using my newly acquired acrylic markers. The markers give an extremely spontaneous stroke although they don’t have any texture–they go on extremely flat. But this thin, flat layer can be sanded as soon as the paint is dry to reveal the rough textures beneath.

It’s a very flexible technique that promises lots of opportunity to explore. I won't get bored any time soon.

Brad Teare –July 2016



7 comments:

  1. The combination of the size, the richness of the colors, the texture and the vitality of the strokes makes this painting very moving.

    I wonder what kind of response you would get if you had an exhibition of thirty such landscapes. I think it would be amazing.

    Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Richard. I have a show scheduled for May 2017 and hope to show some of these types of paintings. Not sure I can have 30 but I certainly might have 10 to 15. Thanks so much for the kind words. You enthusiasm is of great benefit as I dive into the project. I appreciate it!

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed watching you paint. It's great to see you combining what you've learned in abstract to landscape (or is it the other way around?) Now you just need to add scratchboard. You already are scratching. So I see this as an amalgam of past experiences and techniques to create something that is perceived as new and inventive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so much looking forward to this video after I was fascinated by the piece in Instagram, thank you, it was meditative and an experience to go through the evolution of this work.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...